LONDON -- It has been confirmed that twenty-two people are now known to have died, many of them children and juveniles, following a suspected terror attack at the Manchester Arena last night. At least 59 others were hurt in the blast and are being treated across the city for a variety of injuries.
The blast took place at 22.35 p.m. local time on Monday following a concert by American singer Ariana Grande.
Manchester police say that a man set off an improvised explosive device, IED, at the concert, dying in the attack. The Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable, Ian Hopkins, had earlier said that police were treating the explosion as a terrorist incident 'until they know otherwise'.
UK Prime Minister Theresa May said that her thoughts were with those affected by "what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack". She has announced that she will chair a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee.
A spokesperson for the 21,000-capacity venue's management said that the explosion took place just outside the main arena as people, many of them children and teenagers, were leaving the concert. If confirmed as a terrorist attack, it will be the deadliest in Britain since the 2005 bombings of the London Transport Underground and bus system, in which 56 people were killed.
Source: Emirates News Agency