SEOUL, 9th September, 2016 (WAM)–The South Korean government on Friday said the latest nuclear test conducted by Pyongyang is a “grave provocation,” adding it strongly condemns the move.

Earlier in the day, a magnitude 5 earthquake was detected near North Korea’s nuclear site in the country’s northeastern region, indicating the communist regime conducted its fifth nuclear test.

In January, North Korea conducted a fourth nuclear test after its previous tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013.

“North Korea conducted the fifth nuclear test at Punggye-ri, North Hamgyong Province,” National Security Adviser Cho Tae-yong said.

“Pyongyang has been making dangerous provocations, and has only focussed on developing nuclear weapons and missiles. They must realise they will get nothing from such efforts,” Cho said, adding North Korea will face further international sanctions, as well as isolation.

The South Korean government also warned that North Korea will face more economic troubles. “We sternly warn North Korea to immediately give up its nuclear and missile programmes completely and irreversibly in a transparent manner,” Cho added.

WAM/Majok