Ten killed in a blast at Istanbul’s Sultanahmet: update

ISTANBUL, 12th January, 2016 (WAM) -- An explosion in the heart of Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet tourist district killed at least ten people and wounded 15 others on Tuesday, local officials said.

Istanbul governor's office said the authorities were investigating the type of explosive used and who might have been responsible for the attack. It said ten people were killed and 15 wounded but gave no further details, according to the Anadolu News Agency.

Early speculation suggested a suicide bomb had been detonated although there was no official confirmation. Sultanahmet Square lies between two of Istanbul’s most popular tourist attractions, the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia.

The area, on the European side of Istanbul, is home to the city’s most popular tourist sites and contains hundreds of hotels and restaurants. The square, which is dotted with gardens, fountains and benches, is usually thronged with tourists throughout the day.


WAM/AAMIR/Moran