UN launches working group on nuclear abolishment

NEW YORK, 23rd February, 2016 (WAM) -- The United Nations has launched a working group, to discuss the possibility of a legal ban on nuclear weapons. The proposal to establish the group was approved by the General Assembly in December last year.

On Monday, the UN representatives from more than 90 countries, opened a 5-day meeting in Geneva, where former UN Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, expressed concern over the situation, saying that there has been little progress made regarding nuclear disarmament, since the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty went into effect more than 45 years ago.

Annan added that he expects the new working group will make a breakthrough in discussions on reducing nuclear weapons.

According to Japan’s NHK World newswire report, Toshio Sano, Japan’s disarmament ambassador, said that the abolishment of nuclear arms is a strong desire of the country, which is the only one to have suffered atomic bombings.

He said that efforts toward the goal will need involvement of nuclear powers to have real effect. The working group plans to hold 2 more meetings before August, and submit a report to the UN General Assembly in September.

WAM/ Galila.


WAM/Moran