GENEVA, 20th October, 2016 (WAM)– Evacuation of 200 wounded and sick people from Eastern Aleppo could begin Friday, the UN said, confirming that a humanitarian truce in the Syrian city had been extended.

Speaking in a news conference alongside UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura, the head of the UN’s humanitarian taskforce for Syria, Jan Egeland, said he hoped those in most urgent need of care could be taken out on Friday by the World Health Organisation and Red Cross.

Egeland’s statement came hours after Russia announced it would extend a promised eight-hour ceasefire in Aleppo today to 11 hours.

WAM/MMYS