WASHINGTON, 10th October, 2016 (WAM) — A US Navy guided missile destroyer was apparently targeted on Sunday in a failed missile attack from territory in Yemen controlled by Houthi rebels, a US military spokesman has told Reuters News agency, saying that neither of the two missiles hit the ship.
The attempted strike on the USS Mason came just a week after a United Arab Emirates civilian vessel came under attack from Houthis and suggests growing risks to allied military from the conflict.
The Reuters report says that the failed missile attack on the USS Mason began around 7 p.m. local time, when the ship detected two inbound missiles over a 60-minute period in the Red Sea off Yemen’s coast. “Both missiles impacted the water before reaching the ship,” Pentagon spokesman, Captain Jeff Davis, said, adding, “There were no injuries to our sailors and no damage to the ship.”
A US defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that the first missile triggered counter-measures from the USS Mason. It was not immediately clear whether those defences may have helped prevent a direct hit on the ship, which did not return fire, according to the official said, adding that the incident took place just north of the Bab al-Mandab strait off Yemen’s southern coast, where last week an attack on a UAE vessel also took place in what the UAE referred to as an act of terrorism.